Sunday, February 10, 2013

Dr.'s orders: Listen to the 800 yr old Turkish philosopher and call me in the morning.

My Beloved, do not let anger estrange your Heart.
Be generous, invite me to your feast.
Let no one be deprived of the joy of your company.
~Rumi


Every morning Rumi quotes are featured on my news feed. While my daily prayers always include a simple "thanks" for merely waking up, being blessed with the need of the often judged, enabled caffeine vice and the desire to do... to be, Rumi adds something more.

For a publicly declared sap, I often admit that Rumi's daily quotes are so full of love that even I gag. Yes, I am owning it now, especially when it comes at 6:00 a.m. It is way too early for so much love, so much joy... Hmmmm. Stop. Yeah, I know. I don't buy it either.

It does surprise me that no matter how little or restless sleep I get, how my mind wonders often too wildly into adventures way too complicated to retell, I wake up, read Rumi and breathe. It works. A sense of peace fills my head, my soul, I guess. Smile.

Maybe it's stress, or maybe it's February. Winter gray skies are in full bloom, leaving those of us residing in the lovely Mid-west longing for longer days and evenings outings--key word OUT! ;) 
Maybe it is "that time of the year" like so many politely comment in casual conversations when asked how things are going and clearly, the baggies under the eyes are as obvious as the need for more hours in the day. No matter what it is, Rumi couldn't be better timed. 

I can only speak for myself, although I noticed more of my friends becoming "friends" with Rumi themselves, noticing a much better awareness of how his words (or whoever translated them) become daily prayers. These short, easy to remember statements of love, hope, peace, silence and prayer are just as good as any Nike Just Do It commercial, Hallmark greetings cards or Lifetime movies- girls, you know what I mean. ;)

Here's another good one that was perfectly timed mid-week:

There is one way of breathing that is shameful and constricted.
Then there’s another way: a breath of Love that takes you all the way to infinity.
~Rumi


Here's the thing, this 800 yr old philosopher is often referred to as "Doctor Love" or "Love expert" because of his, well, philosophy, or actually, religion. Did you know the love he talks about, he witnessed, he lives and experiences in the deepest , mystical, physical and soulful way, is the love of God; God's love towards each and every one of us. How's that for Valentine's day? ;)

No, I am not preaching... The purpose of this reflection is in appreciation of how a simple statement of love can help change the outcome of a day, or assist in acquiring the patience you didn't have before facing a problem, or even helping prepping to take on a new project. Not only can one of these quotes become that little mantra in your mind (and some have, indeed!), but they can remind you of simple rules of life... Be kind, think with love, act FROM love and leave anger behind.

How sad and often disappointing to be faced with a situation where hatred, meanness and negative thoughts turn relationships into divisive weapons to hurt. I make a daily promise to think, speak and act from a place of love and while it may be challenging at times, it is worth it in the end... I am here, I am blessed. Hearts have been broken, intentional hurt been done. I am still here, I am blessed. Thank you Rumi.  Thank you God and all the angels in heaven-some that I know personally ;) and thank you to life, friends and family for keeping it real- always!

When life takes a turn for the worse, questions arise and hurdles pop out of nowhere to make us either jump over them or fall, close your eyes and say a quick prayer... and remember the Turkish philosopher and hopefully, he can remedy the aches in your heart...

You are rest for my soul,
a surprising joy for my bitterness.


Imagination has never imagined
what you give to me.

There is nothing I want but your presence.
In friendship, time dissolves.

The Christian Trinity, the Zoroastrian light-and-dark,
I absorb them all.
 

Though my body has not noticed,
union has begun to see a new way to be.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment